To be frank I wouldn’t expect a lot of positive feedback from here, where 80% of the posters are autists who can’t handle themselves and can’t fathom how anybody could take care or want to take care of another living thing. The remaining 20% are mostly spending their time traveling or working to afford traveling and see kids as a deadweight at best, a plague to be banned from traveling for most.
But I’m actually considering hiring a au pair for my son. I’ve only scratched the surface yet, registered on au pair.com
and checked a few profiles.
I’m personally not against hiring a guy, but I’ll be frank I’ve mainly browsed girls profiles bc although I’m not stupid enough to shit where I eat, it’s always nice to have something cute to look at...
From the family side, I’d mainly look for somebody who has a previous experience with kids, not necessarily as au pair (older sibling, animation crew...).
As for the working conditions: own bedroom+shower room with toilet on the G/F,we have our own upstairs.
Expect him/her to help with the kid (taking him to pre school at 7:30am and picking him up around 3pm, 50meters from home),and helping with the housework.
Unless we have something scheduled (less than once a week) I’d be fine with our au pair to have his/her evenings free, as well as the time in the day when our son is at pre school. We live in a really nice place where there’s a lot to see and do, would be a shame to remain locked in the house when we have 330 sunny days a year and the beach a 3 mn drive away.
He/she would be welcome to share our meals, as well as helping with cooking, but I’d expect any weird food restrictions/specific ingredients to be self funded!
Also if you want to work in France brush up your French, although I would be glad to communicate in English my son is 2 and only starts to speak French, he could learn over the time, but communication would be hard at first .
Hope you’ll find a good family op.