[38 / 13]
14KiB, 259x194, download.jpg
View Same Google iqdb SauceNAO Trace

Central and South America By Motorcycle

No.1265164 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Hey all,

Semi-experienced /trv/fag here. Been to about 35 countries since 2013 and lived overseas for a couple years.

I'm 23 and about to finish both of my BSc programs. I'm considering taking a motorbike trip from my home state of Michigan to either Panama or Argentina after I complete my undergraduate education or, alternatively, a masters.

A few questions I have for anybody with experience:

>Would it be more economical to purchase a bike in Paraguay or Chile and then ride northward to the United States? I'd rather keep whatever bike I use than re-sell it at the end of the trip, and I don't want to double the trip length by riding back.
>How much of an issue is two-wheeled transportation in Central America? The thought of transiting through El Salvador or Guatemala on back of a motorbike and with all my valuables strapped in seems somewhat unsettling.
>Do road use fees and whatnot constitute a large part of a motorbike trip budget, or are they fairly inconsequential?

I'd like to buy a used or almost-new Suzuki V-Strom 650, although I'm also considering the BMW F650GS and KLR 650.

If I go from the United States to South America with a bike, rather than from there to here, I'd probably buy a bike next summer and take the trip after I get a masters (2-3 years in the future; I want to do the Peace Corps in conjunction with an MS, then apply for PhD programs after a brief break).

Otherwise I'd do immediately after graduating. I have a work-from-anywhere income of a couple thousand dollars per month and am hoping to grow that to $3,000-ish per month by the time I leave.

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help.

Oh - and for what it's worth, I'm already an experienced rider. I have my own bike in the States and have done some touring in Central America (on a rental) and India.