[316 / 38 / 113]
45KiB, 941x848, Electric-Vehicle-Chargers.jpg
View Same Google iqdb SauceNAO Trace

EV's use way more electricity than you realize

No.25929899 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
I see a lot of posts on here equating the electricity being used to charge an EV as being the same as running an air conditioner or some other high-draw appliance, but this is not accurate. When an EV is charging, it's pulling the equivalent of an *entire house going at full tilt*, and it does so continuously. This is totally unlike the power draw from an air conditioner, which only turns on intermittently, and actually draws much lower current than people realize 99% of the time. The same thing goes for an oven, stove, electric kettle, or anything else that uses a heating element - it's not running the element at full tilt for hours, it's running it for a few minutes to a half hour and then switching off. The EV charger pulls its max current the second you start charging and doesn't stop until you unplug it or the battery is full. Most houses in the real world pull about 40-50 amps during the busiest part of the day (everyone gets home and you're doing all the cooking, washing, etc), and less than 20 amps the rest of the day. EV chargers generally draw 30-50 amps depending on the type, continuously. So, if you charge your car overnight for 8 hours, you're using about the same amount of electricity that your house uses in 24 hours. I don't really care about EV's one way or the other, I'm just tired of the misconception that their current draw is minimal. It isn't. It's actually a huge amount of power.
t. electrician