I'm talking purely within the framework of the current codex. I personally allow Space Marine players with Captains/Masters with Jump Packs to use Assault squads as Troops, and I think Abomination Squads are as or more welcome than Legion of the Damned in the main codex.
Right after I wrote my post, I wrote this up for Dark Angels and Blood Angels. It basically works fine.
- All units can choose to ignore half of all Leadership penalties they incur for taking Morale checks, rounding up.
- Models in Terminator Armour and Dreadnoughts have the Fearless and Preferred Enemy (Chaos) rules and models on bikes of all sorts and fast skimmer/fly vehicles have the Outflank rule and may Scout up to 12"/12" further than usual if they were already Scouts
- Lose Terminator Squads, Terminator Assault Squads, Skytalon Escort Craft, Stormraven Gunships, Scout Bikers
- Gain Deathwing Terminator Squads, Deathwing Knight Courts, Nephilim Jet Fighters, Land Speeder Shrouds, Ravenwing Knight Cordons
- All units have the Furious Charge and Red Thirst rules.
- All Jump Infantry have the Descent of Angels rule.
- Lose Command Squads, Honour Guard, Chaplains, Ironclad Dreadnoughts, Assault Squads, Centurion Assault Squads and Centurion Devastators
- Gain Assault Command Squads, Sanguinary Guard, Sanguinary Priests, Furioso Dreadnoughts, Death Company, Death Company Dreadnoughts and Reclusium Coteries
Red Thirst: Prior to deployment, all units in the army must take a Leadership test, Independent Characters may reroll the result. For every point the test is failed, a single random model from unit is taken into the Death Company. All the Death Company in the army must be divided into 1-6 units no bigger than 30. Models with Jump Packs, Bikes, Terminator Armour and without any of the above must be kept as seperate as possible; after this, each unit must be kept at 3 or more models strong if possible.