[294 / 102 / 88]
126KiB, 570x429, 1569252254161.jpg
View Same Google iqdb SauceNAO Trace

Horrible Deep Sea Thread

No.71803495 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Hey people, you know what time it is?

That's right! It's I'm stuck indoors with nothing to do, so I might as well shitpost about deep sea fish time! Also it's been almost a year since I did this the last time, so I don't think I'm wearing out my welcome.

Anyway, if you're new here (which I hope you are, because there's only so much new content I can find), here's how it goes: I post about cool and freaky deep sea animals, you figure out if you can use them as inspiration in your games. At some point I'll probably start posting horribly drawn deep sea mermaids. No reason to be alarmed, this is normal.

Anyway, the deep sea. Which I'll be using to refer to everything below about 200 m depth (mesopelagic through hadal zones, mostly focusing on bathypelagic and abyssopelagic), where sunlight is too weak to allow photosynthesis. Up until some time in 1800s IIRC, it was assumed no complex life could survive at those depths, due to the crushing pressure and there being no plantlife to serve as the basis of the food chain. Life, however, is pretty good at finding way to survive in place people say it shouldn't (we've even found bacteria living miles deep in bedrock), and as it turns out the way to survive in the deep sea generally involves evolving into something really freaky.