It is fucking amazing to me that anon still doesnt understand the movie business.
1. Movie studios dont own movie theaters
2. When theaters like AMC, Regal, etc show movies in their theaters, they dont show them for free
3. Theaters take a certain percentage of the box office gross (anywhere from 40% to 60%)
4. Foreign Theaters / Distributors take an even higher percentage (for example China takes 75%)
5. Marketing is not included with the production budget
5. With that being said, ancillaries like Blu-Ray sales, streaming revenue, etc after the movie leaves the theaters can greatly increase whether a movie is profitable or not.
If BR2049 made $260M at the box office, the studio only took around $120M - 130M. If BR2049 production budget was $185M plus marketing, then it lost $$$ if you are just basing it on what to took from the theaters.