[7 / 1 / 6]
28KiB, 640x360, bcs saul goodman.jpg
View Same Google iqdb SauceNAO Trace

No.172803743 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
I keep thinking about the scene in the final episode of Breaking Bad where Walt finally, after a whole five seasons of denial, says to Skyler, "I did it for me" and finally confirms that his malice didn't come from his circumstances but from himself.

Better Call Saul burst out of the gate depicting that, unlike Walt, Jimmy did outwardly seem to be someone who really did want to do the right thing and just didn't have the resources and support to make good decisions, in contrast to Walt being a man who was itching for the chance to unleash his inner megalomania. But the last few episodes have painted a bleak picture of someone in the process of being totally consumed by all of his worst instincts, making us doubt that there was ever a moral fiber in Jimmy McGill.

But rather than condemning him as the biggest asshole protagonist to ever be on TV, the finale shows us that we were right as an audience to see the redemptive qualities that we noticed early on. He grows, too little, too late to save himself, but enough for us to finally see his true regrets about hurting his brother (and Howard!) laid bare after 3 seasons of denial. And for him to share a final authentic moment, a somewhat amicable goodbye, with Kim, the one person he still really loves and the one person who the idea of hurting finally got him to avert that negative spiral.

That is a really great conclusion and a damn meaningful message. Even facing the life sentence Jimmy chose to finally admit his regrets to himself and start to live without them. It's just as cathartic as "I did it for me."